Damers First School’s PTA is open to all parents and teaching staff. It is a registered charity organised by a core committee, voted for each year, which meets regularly with key members of staff to discuss fundraising opportunities and allocate the money raised to benefit the school and the children. All parents are welcome to attend meetings whenever they can. Meeting dates can be found in the school newsletter each month and meetings are usually held in the school staff room.
It can be difficult to always attend meetings so in addition to our core committee, we maintain a list of supportive parents and carers willing to help out in preparing for events or at the events themselves. We really need your help to continue raising vital funds for the school and to put on fun events for the children that enrich their school experience.
Our events are always so well supported by Damers families and you help us to raise thousands of pounds each year for the school. Thank you!
What does the PTA do?
We organise regular events throughout the year with the main aim of bringing families together to build a sense of community and to celebrate our school alongside raising vital funds for school. We work with staff to complement the curriculum and ensure that our events closely follow school policies, for example we have reduced single-use plastic at events in line with the school’s eco principles. During the year, our regular events include:
- School discos every half term
- Easter Bingo with lots of chocolate prizes
- Christmas Fair with games, tombola, Father Christmas in his grotto, raffle, face-painting and refreshments
- Christmas Secret Shop open to children to buy small gifts as a surprise for their family on Christmas Day
- Summer Fete to gather families together towards the end of the school year
- Support for school events, including welcoming new Foundation families, running second-hand uniform sales and providing refreshments at story nights
- Lolly sales after school in the second-half of the summer term.
New ideas and additions to the calendar are always welcome and since the school’s move to Poundbury we work closely with local businesses to take part in community events.
What is the money used for?
Funds raised from PTA events are invested back into the school, regularly updating playground equipment and boosting school resources. Fundraising has become even more important for schools in recent years. At Damers, the money raised regularly funds:
- Golden Ticket treats for pupils each week
- School trip subsidies
- Children’s magazines for the library
- First book bags for new Foundation pupils
- A celebration day for Year 4 when they leave school, including a personalised leavers book
- Christmas gifts for all classes
- Costumes, sets and production costs for the summer play by Key Stage 2 pupils
How can you help?
All Damers families already play a vital part in fundraising activities by attending events throughout the year. If you would like to be involved in planning or helping at events by running a stall at a fete or selling refreshments at school discos then please let us know – we can add you to our email list to keep you updated. Or maybe you have a special skill that you think we could use or that could spark a new fundraising idea.
Contact us by email: email@example.com